Sunday, November 14, 2010

Paleo Beef Stew

So the potatoes don't exactly make this a purest's recipe, but it is close enough.  Feel free to leave them out.  I am interested in anyone comes up with anything to substitute them with.

Paleo Beef Stew
1 lb. beef stew meat (browned)
1 (16 oz) can of tomato sauce
6 carrots, sliced
1 onion, cut into big-ish slices
2 potatoes, cubed
a splash of worchestershire sauce
a splash of hot sauce
1 garlic clove
1-3 c. of water (more if going in crockpot)
freshly ground pepper to taste
2 bay leaves

Cook one of two ways:
1)  Put in a shallow pan (9x 13") and bake in an oven at 350 degrees for 3 hours.  Cover with tin foil while baking.

2)  Put in a crockpot and cook either on low for 8 hours OR high for 4 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beth--

    It sounds yummy! I use parsnips instead of potatoes, they aren't quite the same, but they are a good substitute, and add another layer of flavor to the stew. I have been trying to avoid nightshades lately, so I make mine without potatoes or tomatoes. I posted my stew recipe last week, All Day Paleo Stew. It doesn't take all day to make it, but if you let it cook a few hours, (or all day) the end result is melt in your mouth delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be great with cauliflower instead of potatoes. I use cauliflower in a lot of my stews and soups

    ReplyDelete